fredag, december 08, 2006

The Discomfort Zone av Jonathan Franzen

The Comfort Zone är de behagliga temperaturerna på Jonathan Franzens föräldrars termostat.

Först är Jon a small and fundementally ridiculous person, sen the official fifty-year-old-boy and the unofficial adolescent.

A small and fundamentally ridiculous person som inte kan hindra sin storebror från att efter ett nattbråk med pappan lämna hemmet för att inte komma tillbaka.
Even if I'd dared to sit up in bed, what could I have said? "Excuse me, I'm trying to sleep"?

The official fifty-year-old-boy and the unofficial adolescent, två sidor av samma kille som möts när Jon och hans gäng staplar skolans stolar i ett och samma klassrum, men sätter lappar på varje stol, för att skolan lättare ska kunna ställa tillbaka dom.

Buskillarna vill jabba med dom vuxna. Dom vill märkas men förstår att dom saknar betydelse. Deras liv har inte börjat. Precis som för den lilla fundamentally ridiculous person som låg i sängen och hörde storebror sticka.

Adolescence is best enjoyed without self-consciousness, but self-consciousness, unfortunately, is its leading symptom. Even when something important happens to you, even when your heart's getting crushed or exalted, even when you're abosrbed in building the foundations of a personality, there come these moment when you're aware that what's happening is not the real story. Unless you actually die, the real story is still ahead of you. This alone, this cruel mixture of consciousness and irrelevance, this built-in hollowness, is enough to account for how pissed off you are.

Nu är Jon 45 och glad att han blivit det han önskade att han skulle bli när han var 17. Större armmuskler, bättre med verktyg, författare. Samtidigt
I eat half a box of Oreos for lunch, I binge on TV, I make sweeping moral judgements, I run around town in torn jeans, I drink martinis on a Tuesday night, I stare at beer-commercial cleavage, I define as uncool any group to which I can't belong, I feel the urge to key Range Rovers and slash their tires; I pretend I'm never going to die.

Det har inte börjat än.

Första kapitlet flätar barndomssomrar i Florida, att sälja sina föräldrars hus och sina egna, föräldrarnas och västvärldsvärderingar. Sista kapitlet nystar ställen att bo med maniskt fågelskådande och jordens slut. På tvåhundra sidor ger The Discomfort Zone mycket och välmöblerat.
__________________
Jonathan Franzen

The Discomfort Zone. 2006. 195 s. Farrar, Straus and Giroux: ISBN 0-374-29919-6

Tillrättalägganden (The Corrections). 2001. Forum: ISBN: 91-37-11902-8

Jag beställde Alice Munros Runaway efter jag läst en recension av Jonathan Franzen. Jag läste Tillrättalägganden efter att jag fallit för Runaway. Jag föll för Tillrättalägganden också (och började uppmuntra mina ännu unga föräldrar att röja upp bland sina saker).

Om du inte heller läste Tillrättalägganden när den kom, läs den nu. Den är lätt att hitta på Myrorna.

Mer
Intervju med Jonathan Franzen om The Discomfort Zone plus utdrag på NPR.

I went through the house and stripped the family photos out of every room. I'd been looking forward to this work almost as much as to my drink. My mother had been too attached to the formality of her living room and dining room to clutter them with snapshots, but elsewhere each windowsill and each table-top was an eddy in which inexpensively framed photos had accumulated. I filled a shopping bag with the haul from the top of her TV cabinet. I picked another bag's worth from a wall of the family room, as from an espaliered fruit tree. Many of the pictures were of grandchildren, but I was represented in them, too - here flashing an orthodontic smile on a beach in Florida, here looking hung-over at my college graduation, here hunching my shoulders on my ill-starred wedding day, here standing three feet away from the rest of my family during an Alaskan vacation that my mother, toward the end, had spent a substantial percentage of her life savings to take us on. The Alaskan picture was so flattering to nine of us that she'd applied a blue ballpoint pen to the eyes of the tenth, a daughter-in-law, who'd blinked for the photo and who now, with her misshapen ink-dot eyes, looked quietly monstrous or insane.
House for sale, redigerat utdrag i Guardian Book Review.