lördag, april 02, 2005

Istanbul

Ta bort det där fåniga leendet från ditt fejs. Det går inte Orhan Pamuk kommer ut med en bok om Istanbul.

Conrad, Nabokov, Naipaul - these are writers known for having managed to migrate between languages, cultures, countries, continents, even civilisations. Their imaginations were fed by exile, a nourishment drawn not through roots but through rootlessness; mine, however, requires that I stay in the same city, on the same street, in the same house, gazing at the same view. Istanbul's fate is my fate: I am attached to this city because it has made me who I am.


Utdrag ur Istanbul.
Recension i Guardian idag.
Om Pamuks förra roman Snow

050417
Orhan Pamuk merges the story of his childhood with the story of a city in his dazzling memoir, Istanbul, says Nouritza Matossian.
Recension The Observer.

Om Istanbul här på Böckerna (efter att jag läst den)